Wulf's Pawprints

Stalking my voice.

Sunday, December 05, 2004

ENCHANTED

In a word? Wish you were there!
The sikrit location Enchanted No.7 (allegedly the last one) was held in Port Gawler. 36Km from my house to the millimeter. My mobile thought it was at "Two Wells", probably the last UNJAMMED cell station. Not exactly in the middle of nowhere as I expected but far enough to worry about the knocking noise in my L33T trasnportation as I breached the sound barrier of 110Km/h. An anectode springs to mind, an early aviation pioneer was asked how he knows the speed his aircraft travels at. "Well", he says, "When I hit 50, my engine sputters, why I hit 70, my stick breaks and when I hit 80, my wings fall off". My hairstylist is SO burned! His 'contacts' were telling him Enchanted was going to be down south this year. Stick to what you do best man! Cut the hair FFS!

I have arrived safely to my destination, though I parked the car ontop of some concrete/pipe arrangement clearly designed to stop the chinese invading tanks when the come onto the beach. Bend the front fairing and at the time I suspected cracked the oil pan but I though; "Screw that! Im here to party and no busted car is going to stop me".

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot from about 500m away, 4 stages and the atmosphere can be felt from the distance.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I was by myself, since none of my friends was young enough/into the music enough/was washing the hair on the night or whatever. I was a bit worried that my attire was a bit outre (Cammo pants, E-Superman tshirt, boots, Gell spiky hair), I was pleasantly surprised I fit in. The crowd though young as a rule was very cool. There were a few crusties like myself but all were hardcore enough not to stick out.
The chiX0rz wore funky synth fur leggins, the blokes, baggy fluro pants, Council workmen vest were a big hit and I am sure I saw a few biohazard suits. The ammount of LED/glowstick bling was amazing. EVERYONE had some glowing shit. I felt SO DARK!
I really wish my watch would glow constantly rather briefly, would fit right in.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
MAXIMUS GLOSTIK, Seriously funky glo bling, PC grade neon tubes with bumpack powersupply

Took a number of shots with my Sharp GX-30, a couple of actually suprisingly good quality (check out the photos below).

The music was awesome, raw sets spun there and then. I did not realise how different DJ's sound at the rave. This is their natural environment, not locked up in a commercial club. None of the 'techno-pop' crap you hear at Heaven. All new/fresh sets. After casing the layout, I circulated between the Big Dog and Adrenaline stages where hardcore, energy techno was the form.

I had high hopes for 'The Crystal Method' and whilst the set was not much like their CD stuff, it had the energy and rawnes that only a genuine, uncanned electronica can bring. I got into it with ease.

What I liked most about the whole experience is the atmosphere. Really friendly, very much like a folk festival but with better music and energy. I was offered water (did I really look that tripped out?) and people initiated conversation with me AND THEY WEREN'T ASKING ME TO SELL THEM STUFF!
Whoa! I had gone home far too early for my liking, I went to the car around 3AM (had a stash of energy drinks and glucose) sat down and OMFG! My knees screamed in relief and pleaded for mercy 'No MORE, PLEASE!'. I am getting far too old for this kind of abuse.

I do hope the threat that this will be 'the last one' is mere hot air. Large Raves like this need to go on forever.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Atmosphere with a capital E. Click for large size.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Can not look at these images and not want to be there again! Sigh. Click for large size

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Largest of the 4 stages was the 'Big Dog'. By the virtue of the sets being played. Click for large size

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
The sun is coming out and its the middle of the night... Click for large size

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaah thanks for the photos man. Wish I was back there and it was all going off again. Want more!!!
Can't wait for more photos to start appearing online.

Judging by some of the wonderful people I met there, You're never to old to be a raver. : )

- FeralBob

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home