Wulf's Pawprints

Stalking my voice.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

EMERGENCE

Fixion

Thrown forward into the webbing once again.
This time I hung in the restraints for a few seconds longer. The forward console became down all off the sudden, rushing towards me again to try to merge with me in a firm and final embrace of plasteel and flesh.
The green hue of the chronox implant in my retina was counting down, tiny green worm digits slithering inside my eye, unwinding to zero. Soon, very soon...my breakfast tried to leave my stomach again with another jolt of the deaccelerators. Well, physics of interdemonsional travel are beyond me. I just buy the gear and press the buttons. This current chariot, vehicle of adventure and discovery, a boon to all travellers seeking excitement and glory, the Isospititus KI2, fresh off the lot. The price was only 20 souls, how could I resist?
Bargain, practically free what with all the mischief in the multiverse, souls were a dime a dozen.

There was a loud scream behind me, angels and demons sang together in a cacophonic chorus and a large lithometalic column of machinery flew past my restraint couch missing my skull by milets. I twisted my spine uncomfortably trying to grow eyes on the back of my neck. There was a huge gaping hole where the unit detached in the bulkhead behind me. The de-acceleration jolts were coming together more frequently, massive thrusts as if the craft was a speeding wagon entering patches of thick gooey sponge at high speed. Welcome to Multiverse Aleph-Theoth-21... thats what the console indicated. At least there was stuff here... I rubbed the bruise on my palm. The last emergence was in the precise middle of absolutely nothing. As soon as the dark sense of dread of absolute nothingness crept at the periphery of my awareness, I hit the jump button. A tad too hard, it still hurt... I was a bit rattled by that.
Maybe I should have mapped the jump with greater care, but I just wanted to get out of there... Aleph-Thoth-21 it is, friendly place.
It was embracing me with the desire and strength of a 200 pound psycho-girlfriend.
'I will never let you go baby!', Cruch... I could swear I cracked a rib against the webbing. Somewhere deep inside the craft there was a sound as if a herd of bulls tiptoed rather unsuccessfully though a China and Nitroglicerine emporium.
Suddenlty the air scrubbers begun whining at full speed and the air of the capsule filled with smokey haze.
Not that I particularly cared since at the exact time another jolt came and I was flung towards the homicidal console again. My arms and legs arcing together like a ragdoll. There was bruising, no doubt at all I thought as I finally liberated the breakfast in a slow languid arc of zero gee. I watched as the gravity claimed it in the next break cycle and the vomit turned from a peacock coloured cloud to a rainbow blur raining on the console. Naturally, with the fortitude that has marked my soujourn since the start, the splatter hit the exact middle of the main viewer screen.
Before the screen was obscured by my half digested toast, I saw long streaks of superluminal star streaks coalesing into solid spheres. This one at least was not empty. I shuddered once again at the mercifully brief scar of the last experience.
I should be needing some deep exorcism to drive out those evils eating my mind.

The last jolt was the strongest, the craft entered the newtonian space and as the multiple dimensions wilted off the skin of the ship, like flaking petals off a dying flower, there was an almighty shudder. As if leviathan himself had coughed up not a man but an entire assembly of plasteel and lithometalics and spells woven and bound into the form of a multispacial vessel. Somewhere towards the aft section there was a sound as if the finger of god strummed an impossibly taut string... and broke it.
Entire left section of the console begun to glow crimson and a soothing voice begun to narrate a not so soothing litany of my imminent doom.
'Coolant voided', 'Core collapsing', 'Spatial manifold compromised'...
Ya ya ya... I yelled angrily at the machine voice, slapping down the alarms.

The mulidimensiator glared at me from the centre of the console, its cyclopean blue iris marked with four clovers of standard four dimensional space, gently wafting at me its message of nominality. It was no longer a chaotic dance of lighting energies, multiversal soup of quantum uncertainties. For better or for worse, laws of physics governed once more.

I fell back into the couch with a deep sigh, slapping open the webbing button.
The craft was silent with the finality only a misadventure may bring.
There were systems dying everywhere. Whistle of spinning down gyros, crackle of overheated insulation, muted howls of dying drive demons.

I had a feeling I would be here for a while.

3 Comments:

Blogger hakusa said...

Hey, I found this blog while doing research on how to make a bomb for my own story.

I have to say, it was a damn lucky find. It takes great skill to write so that the outrageously theoretical scientific concepts are plausible, or even just enough to make me willing to suspend my disbelief. Well, you did a great job of plausibility, and it wasn't uninteresting either!

Great work.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Wulfy said...

Thank you Hakusa!

Your comments are very welcome.
I do not write anywhere near as much as I should, your accolades bring me that much closer to spending more time writing :)

I intended 'Emergence' to be a short exercise in opening a story and drawing a reader in, coupled with the idea to introduce new concepts and alien everyday things in such a way that they do not sound contrived and alien...

2:25 AM  
Blogger d sinclair said...

Hey I LIKE it! where's the rest of the book?

another installment Wulfy?

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home